assassination

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 23 15:44:41 UTC 2011

At 11:22 AM -0400 3/23/11, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Many years ago I read or heard that "assassination" was a prejudicial,
>elitist ideological term because it implied that prominent people deserve a
>special word when they're murdered.
>
>Every time you use it you're promoting hierarchy and oppression.

Plus its use oppresses all peaceful hashish users everywhere.

LH

P.S.  Jim McCawley once argued that "assassinate/ation" can't really
be defined in terms of the prominence of the victim.  Intention must
be taken into account.  If X is aiming at her unfaithful husband, or
if Y is trying to take down his overbearing mother-in-law, and either
of them happens to hit the mayor who was just passing by, this
doesn't count as assassination.

Intuitions may differ, though--if Oswald had been trying to
assassinate John Connolly in that car passing through Dealey Plaza,
wouldn't we still say he assassinated JFK?  Could we say he
accidentally assassinated Kennedy?

Then, speaking of mayors, there's the Mayor Anton Cermak
"assassination".  From the wiki-entry,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Cermak:

========
While shaking hands with President-elect Franklin D. Roosevelt at
Bayfront Park in Miami, Florida, on February 15, 1933, Cermak [the
mayor of Chicago--LH] was shot in the lung and seriously wounded when
Giuseppe Zangara, who at the time was believed to have been engaged
in an attempt to assassinate Roosevelt, hit Cermak instead.
========

Cermak died a couple of weeks later, but had he been assassinated?
Apparently, Zangara's intentions are still under debate, but most
descriptions count this as an assassination.