Q; pronouncing "Fukushima"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Mar 28 20:41:21 UTC 2011

Here is a video clip with the Japanese news-lady saying "Fukushima
Dai-ichi" ("Fukushima #1", I guess) repeatedly (0:01, 0:14, 0:53).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMEV-_X5b_8

I think this sounds pretty standard (but my acquaintance with Japanese
is minimal). The first through third syllables are voiceless to my ear
(more-or-less 'whispered', for us laymen).

To me through my Anglophone ear the stress is seemingly on the second
syllable ("ku") but this may be imaginary.

I myself would say something like /fUkUSima/ with 2nd-syllable stress in
English. Others would of course do otherwise.

-- Doug Wilson