OT: "copyright" (imprint) date vs. publication date

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 28 23:16:59 UTC 2011

And don't forget, in the pre-computer days it could *easily* take three
months for a book actually to appear after the publisher accepted the ms.
and received the final draft.

OTOH, tiny corrections can be snuck in almost up to the last moment.

The difference between a copyright date of, say, "1900" and "1901" could be
one or two days or 366. And, as you suggest, the time it takes for anyone to
read it could be longer than that.

So despite the demands of positivism, HDAS and OED dates all imply a little
bit of wiggle room.  (Published diaries are an issue unto themselves. You
may remember the case of "Murphy's Law" many months back.)

But as an HDAS user, you can be confident that the dates therein are the
most accurate I was able to assign.

Jon