OT: "copyright" (imprint) date vs. publication date

Mon Mar 28 23:33:22 UTC 2011

When I look at some of the scans of some books in Google Books I
wonder if the listed dates for copyright and publication are connected
to reality. Self-publishing is easy and I know if no enforcement
mechanism at Google Books (or other repositories) that evaluates the
accuracy of the data at the beginning of a book. Perhaps some other
person on the list knows.  Libraries of paper books face the same
issue.