to leave = 'to leave a bequest to'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 1 16:46:38 UTC 2011

One unused to linguistic ineptitude might think so, but the entire available
context strongly suggests otherwise. Short for "leaving them something."

No competent TV commercial would dare leave in the slightest perceivable
criticism of the "product."  A speaker who seemed to suggest to the ad's
editors that he'd even once considered leaving the SA out of his will would
never have gotten on the air.

JL