speed humps

Michael Quinion wordseditor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Mon May 2 08:15:18 UTC 2011

Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> My estimate is that the "hump" was two or three times as wide as a "bump."

In the UK, the official term for a wide traffic calming bump is "speed
table". Traffic engineeers sometimes put a pedestrian crossing on one.

Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words
Web: http://www.worldwidewords.org

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list