rumble strip

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon May 2 17:06:11 UTC 2011

Joan beat me to it.  Also used for/at the boundary between the
right-most (for Michael Q., that's the so-called "slow" lane over
here) and the breakdown lane -- where it does resemble a strip more
than the "table" before a toll booth -- as a warning to sleeping
policemen ... er, drivers.


At 5/2/2011 11:44 AM, Joan H. Hall wrote:
>I know them as "rumble strips."
>While we are on the subject; what is the term for the rough roadway
>that generates an infernal racket when a car approaches a toll booth?
>The American Dialect Society -

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list