rumble strip

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 2 18:08:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at> wrote:

> Joan beat me to it.  Also used for/at the boundary between the
> right-most (for Michael Q., that's the so-called "slow" lane over
> here) and the breakdown lane -- where it does resemble a strip more
> than the "table" before a toll booth -- as a warning to sleeping
> policemen ... er, drivers.
> Joel
> At 5/2/2011 11:44 AM, Joan H. Hall wrote:
> >I know them as "rumble strips."
> >
> >While we are on the subject; what is the term for the rough roadway
> >that generates an infernal racket when a car approaches a toll booth?
> >
> >DanG

Also used on the side of the road to shake someone into the awareness that
they're drifting off the road. Sometimes called "drunk bumps".  For more
roadway word fun, there's also "Bott's Dots" :


The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list