speed humps

Barbara Need bhneed at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 2 23:49:20 UTC 2011

In Ithaca, the intersection-wide ones are called "raised intersections"


Barbara Need

On 2 May 2011, at 12:26 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 5/2/2011 04:15 AM, Michael Quinion wrote:
>> In the UK, the official term for a wide traffic calming bump is
>> "speed
>> table". Traffic engineeers sometimes put a pedestrian crossing on
>> one.
> I suppose in the olden days, the "humps" were called "bunches", as
> on camels.
> In the Boston area, I have encountered all three -- narrow (2 or 3
> feet), wider, and very wide (as wide as the crossing street).  And in
> one town, Belmont, a true Bactrian -- a hump, a depression, and
> another hump.

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list