"I was sitting in my mother's lap and she was cutting _me_ some cake."

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 6 02:23:03 UTC 2011

Spoken by "Dr. Temperance Brennan" of the TV drama, Bones, in the
course of recalling a childhood memory.

The actor/actress could have been merely following a script. But, IMO,
that someone would write that is as interesting as someone's saying it
in the wild. FWIW, she may have said "on." That's what my wife heard
and I agree that that could have been the actual case. Naturally, I
wasn't really listening before I heard the second clause and I know
that there's a dialect split between _in NP's lap_ and _on NP's lap_.

--
-Wilson
-----