"I was sitting in my mother's lap and she was cutting _me_ some cake."

John McChesney-Young jmccyoung at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 6 03:48:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> noted
this approximate quote by Tempe Brennan:

> ... Â "I was sitting in my mother's lap and she was cutting _me_ some
> Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â cake."

I myself find this construction unexceptional, and there are 898K raw
Ghits for "cutting me some" -slack. A fair number in the first hundred
are food-related (e.g., ham, bread, wedding cake, biscuits). Is
"cutting some x for me" what you expect instead?

John

--
John McChesney-Young ** Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
JMcCYoung~at~gmail.com ** http://twitter.com/jmccyoung **