pomophobe

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 7 20:51:31 UTC 2011

According to a long, multi-part article published the New Yorker back
in the '60's, people once considered oranges to be poisonous and the
trees were used only in landscaping.

OTOH, how did people discover that olives were safe to eat? Since UC
Davis is, at heart, an aggie school, in addition to the school's
actual arboretum, the campus itself is an arboretum, with cork oaks,
chinaberry trees - the only ones that I've ever seen outside of the
South, fig trees, and olive trees.

Now, whether an olive is green or ripe, there isn't anything about the
raw fruit that would cause anyone to consider it to be edible. During
every olive season, the school paper publishes recipes for the use of
fresh olives. Apparently, among other things, the olives have to be
steeped in a lye solution for a certain length of time.

WTF?! How did it ever occur to anyone to soak a foodstuff in lye?

Really, y'all,

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson