paranoid

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 9 04:21:01 UTC 2011

Yes, I also came across the Burroughs quote, but it was undated and without
a source--and here he's attributing it to someone else. On the other hand,
Kissinger does not strike me as a Burroughs reader--perhaps he read poetry.
One of the quote sites listing Schwartz fought back:

Delmore Schwartz, American poet
> circa 1950's
> Often misattributed to Henry Kissinger
> or to being an "old saying"

That's fine, but still no source. And Kissinger is not a misattribution--he
really did say it, just was not the first (nor, obviously, was Rahm
Emanuel).

One Salon article even claims "the all-American lost poet Delmore Schwartz
-- best remembered for the proverb "even paranoids have real enemies" --
also deserves credit for the Caffeine Theory of the Enlightenment."

So "everyone" seems to know the Schwartz line, but no one cites the original
source.

VS-)