"Living Large"

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 13 02:21:28 UTC 2011

One more to add from pre-1900.

http://goo.gl/Rk2fO
Guy Rivers, The Outlaw. A Tale of Georgia. By W. Gillmore Simms. London:
1841
Chapter VIII. p. 39

> There was an old codger--a fine hearty buck--old Ralph Colleton--Colonel
> Ralph, as they used to call him. He did have a power of money, and a smart
> chance of lands and field niggers; but they did say he was going
> behind-hand, for ho didn't know how to keep what he had. He was always
> buying, and living large ; but that can't last for ever. I saw him first at
> a muster. I was then just eighteen, and went out with the rest, for the
> first time.

This is the complete accounting of "living large" before 1900 (in addition
to the aforemention 1834 citation). But Browning gives a shocker!

http://goo.gl/y63pE
The Poetical Works of Robert Browning: With Portraits, Volume 2. London,
1896 edition
The Ring and the Book (1868-9). III--The Other Half-Rome. p. 48/1 [lines
545-8]

> To show some bowels, give the dregso' the cup,
> Scrap of the trencher, to their host that was,
> Or let him share the mat with the mastiff, he
> Who lived large and kept open house so long.

As this edition notes, the poem is from 1868-9 and it shows up in other
editions. Here's the link to the "Author's Edition" (1869):

http://goo.gl/lDZTQ

Also Swinburne:

http://goo.gl/T9rTK
Bothwell: A Tragedy. By Algernon Charles Swinburne. 2nd ed. London: 1874
Act III. Scene XI. p. 325

Bothwell.       You were wont
> To walk more free; I wot you have seen fair days
> When you lived large i' the sun, and had sweet tongues
> To sing with yours, and haply lips and eyes
> To make song sweeter than the lute may; now
> 'Tis hard that you sit here my woeful wife,
> Who use you thus despitefully, that yet
> Was never queen so mated with a groom
> And so mishandled; have you said so?

So we have clusters: 1834/1841; 1869/1874; 1910/1913; 1974/1975. After that,
it's open season. But it certainly does not appear to be "dead" between 1834
and 1975, nor is it confined to a particular region or dialect, unless I am
completely misreading the search results (and the original writing behind
them).

VS-)