Query on Language Columns in Media

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon May 16 04:50:18 UTC 2011

Just to comment on Arnold's point and on the impressive list he's
assembled, I think the shape of discourse about language has really
changed in the last few years, as the space that has opened up between
what were formerly distinct public and private spheres has filled with
a range of new voices. LanguageLog is probably the most pointed
example. Its audience isn't nearly on the scale of the  NYTimes or
NPR, but in certain ways it -- and in particular Mark Liberman --  can
exert more influence on public discourse than either of them, for
example in countering the million-word march, the Obama pronoun hokum
and the gals-just-talk-more flim-flam, as searches readily show. I'll
grant you those canards haven't exactly been driven into the sea. But
it's so much easier for linguists to diffuse their views both within
informed opinon and to the media than it was even fifteen years ago,
when linguists would have had no recourse but sit by the phone hoping
the press would call for comments or publish books that with a few
exceptions wouldn't have gotten much of a readership, and that in any
case wouldn't have appeared until years after the fact.

That said, Arnold, I assume you're going to put this list somewhere
where it won't scroll out of sight as  you post new things!

Geoff