Query on Language Columns in Media

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Mon May 16 12:48:54 UTC 2011

On 5/15/11 12:01 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
> Date:    Sat, 14 May 2011 18:08:19 -0400
> From:    "Shapiro, Fred"<fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
> Subject: Query on Language Columns in Media
>
> I would welcome help with the following query:
  With the demise of the much-lamented "On Language" columns in the New
York Times and Chicago Tribune, what are remaining language columns in
major newspapers or other media such as magazines, radio shows, or major
blogs?  Some that I know of include Boston Globe (Jan Freeman), Visual
Thesaurus (Ben Zimmer), and "A Way With Words" radio show (Grant Barrett).

> Fred Shapiro

"You Don't Say" by John McIntyre used to be a personal blog but now runs
on the Baltimore Sun's Web site/blog: I don't know if it runs in the
print paper, though.

Arnold Zwicky has an excellent list of language blogs. In terms of blogs
don't forget "Language Log," "The Web of Language" (Dennis Baron),
"Separated by a Common Language" (Lynne Murphy), "World Wide Words"
(Michael Quinon), David Crystal's blog, Arnold Zwicky's blog, and Jan
Freeman has her own language blog: "Throw Grammar From the Train." I
can't recall if Erin McKean's "Wordnik" site has a blog for it as well.
I can't remember if there's a blog for Dave Wilton's wordorigins.org site.

There's also "Lingua Franca" available as a podcast from Auatralian
Broadcasting Corp's (ABC) Radio National.

And "The World in Words" from PRI's "The World" available as a podcast
via ITunes U.

--
---Amy West