Plus la change -- and Dominique Strauss-Kahn

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue May 17 14:48:58 UTC 2011

At 5/17/2011 10:19 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>>Maxim first seen in English by Google Books in
>>1917, "The Life of the Grasshopper," by
>>Jean-Henri Fabre, in a footnote translating from
>>the French: "Pour vivre heureux, vivons caché!"
>>
>>(I do not have any quotation reference books to check.)
>Me neither, but I suspect the last word would be
>"cachés".  Or the next to last one "vive".  But
>not both.

Well, I do not know any more French than "La
multiplication, sil vous plais", but I did
transcribe accurately from page 302 of a 1917
edition of Fabre NY: Dodd, Mead), translated by
Alexander Teixeira de Mattos, Fellow of the
Zoological Society of London. (GBooks, full view).

Joel