Origin of the term "Upstate"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 18 08:03:38 UTC 2011

At 4:21 PM -0400 5/17/11, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>And "upstate" refs. to prison in fiction usually alluded to Sing Sing, in
>the town of Ossining (on the Hudson)

whence all those dead-end guys would be (or at least get threatened
with being) "sent up the river"

>, though there are more "upstate"
>prisons now than long ago.
>
>JL

I just learned from a native (of the town, not the prison) that the
town housing the prison was itself originally called Sing Sing but
was later renamed "Ossining" as a kind of taboo avoidance.  (This
information isn't in Ossining's wikipedia entry, but I have no reason
to disbelieve it.)

LH