up-state/down-state

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed May 18 16:34:46 UTC 2011

Isn't the major city in Vermont very much in the north?

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Joel S. Berson [Berson at ATT.NET]
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:56 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: up-state/down-state

Nevada:"  Apparently 7 people wrote "upstate Nevada".  Snippets:  "In
our upstate Nevada trip, we'll peel off just above Walker Lake and
head west toward Carson ... "  "Almost every evening now, after his
return from the nuclear testing grounds in upstate Nevada, Manson
would tour the gambling halls and hotels of Las Vegas. "  "...
northwestern Montana, upstate Nevada, and northern California. A
variety of acetate overlays could be pulled down from the ceiling to
illustrate particular features. The overlay diagraming the Columbia
and its dams was now in place, ... "

Utah:  Two wrote "upstate Utah".  "The old Mormon trail from upstate
Utah descended through a gap in the rock bluffs just east of town,
bringing all kinds of wayfarers besides the prospectors: emigrant
families in search of greener land ... "  There is a hint in Google
Everything that Salt Lake City and "Upstate" are a region in
common.  And about 878 people talk about "upstate Utah".

So there are areas, but I have no idea where the boundary is.  Which
way do the rivers flow?  Are there rivers?  Are the major
metropolitan areas in the north or south?  Are there any major
metropolitan areas?

Missouri:  Even here, 369 people say "upstate Missouri".  One
example:  "The old Mormon trail from upstate Utah descended through a
gap in the rock bluffs just east of town, bringing all kinds of
wayfarers besides the prospectors: emigrant families in search of
greener land ... "  Another: "Invisible Prisons takes place in a
psychiatric care facility in the winter of 2000 in snowy upstate
Missouri. ... "  From, GBooks:  "Democratic party leaders wanted to
swing upstate Missouri to the Democratic party and according to the
Missouri Republican, a coalition of Missouri and Illinois politicians
planned the establishment of two Jacksonian presses, ... "  Here
there is a hint of slave vs. free state division?  "As Gustave
Koerner commented in l833, St. Louis was "an important shipping point
as the hemp, tobacco, and corn of upstate Missouri were transported
to the city "  Agricultural differences?  Many more hits for
"east[ern]/"west[ern]" Missouri", though.

Tennessee:  "There was another parallel to Ryan's old Missouri in a
state that seemed riven by a cultural divide, with East and West
Tennesseans playing the roles of their downstate and upstate Missouri
counterparts. And here, too, sectional issues ... "  Of course,
Tennessee is longer than it is high.

In New Hampshire, Maine, and I think Vermont both the larger
settlements are in and the major river flow is to the south, so
"downstate" seems an obvious adoption.

Joel