up-state/down-state

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 18 18:45:34 UTC 2011

My view is that in NY state, between NYC+LI and Albany, "upstate" is north
and west of wherever you're from.

Jstor has an interesting article presenting a specific definition:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/486854
<http://www.jstor.org/pss/486854>
Pronunciation in Downstate New York (I)
C. K. Thomas
American Speech
Vol. 17, No. 1 (Feb., 1942), pp. 30-41

It looks like this is an ADS publication.

It defines "downstate" as the five counties of NYC plus Nassau to its east.
Suffolk County, the eastern part of Long Island, is considered not part of
"downstate", because it is rural, and its speech patterns are closer to CT.

DanG