beyond words

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 22 22:35:18 UTC 2011

The Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All Don't Give a Fuck Loiter Squad is the
group that  _Billboard_ thinks "may well be the future of the music
business."  (Did you catch the pun on "Wolf Gang" and "Wolfgang"?
Incredible!)

>From one of several moving lyrics quoted by an enthusiastic journalist in
this week's _New Yorker_ (p. 61):

"I'll pass the class when my dad starts giving shits,
but as long as our realtionship is turdless, I'm-a
keep burning rubber and fucking these beats with burnt dick."

"This isn't a plea for sympathy," says lyric-connoisseur Kelefah Sanneh
(well, duh!!), but "...Earl [Sweatshirt] insists that rapping well ('fucking
these beats') is the best revenge, and its own reward."

I suppose I couldn't have said that better. But the real tragedy is that
"fuck" now seems to be on its way to becoming a synonym of "to do."  Expect
intergenerational confusion, because decades ago, when all possible meanings
of all four-letter words seemed already to be in use, "fucking these beats"
would have meant, if anything, fucking them up.

So English becomes ever more expressive.

You wish.

JL