Pawlenty's accent hopping

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 23 14:49:20 UTC 2011

Accent hopping can be seen as "inauthentic" for a politician.  And who votes for a phoney.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/03/16/pawlenty-southern-drawl/

I see "paw" and "lenty".  But apparently the "aw" becomes schwa-like in pronunciaton by the announcer in the site above, almost dropped sometimes, sounding almost like "plenty".  The announcer did this with "political" as well, saying "plitical".  A fast talker.

The official pronunciation is at the Minnesota pronunciation guide site
Tim Pawlenty (puh-LEHN'-tee) -- governor   ~Pullentee
http://www.ap.org/minnesota/prono.html   Lots of DASH-spell phonetics there

So there is no "paw" in Pawlenty.  Let's hope he has a leg to stand on.  But maybe that's why he's accent hopping.  Pawlessly hopping.

I can sympathize.  I went to school in Tenn.  When I go back I start drawling immediately.  I like the Southern drawl.  It's like a different way to be.  You ain't being phoney if you don't know you're being phoney.

Tom Zurinskas, first Ct 20 yrs, then Tn 3, NJ 33, Fl 9.
Learn the alphabet and sounds of US English at justpaste.it/ayk