Victualler in 1820 Philadelphia, PA USA

Wed May 25 22:37:50 UTC 2011

Well, well.  Only a few months ago, I read the NYC directory for 1821/22 --
*Longworth's American Almanac, New-York Register and City Directory*,
1821-1822 -- some of us here do have strange pass-times, don't we.
Unfortunately, I was looking for, and noting, people who lived on Thomas
street, and people identified as colored.  None of them dealt in cooked
food.  I've just quickly browsed my notes for the 1810s & 1820s, where I
find references from the Directory for a cider merchant and a ciderist (same
guy, different years), a meadhouse keeper (one of the colored guys of 1821),
an oysterman (ditto; not clear whether he sold oysters or gathered them; if
he sold them, it would probably have been from a pushcart) and one or two
porterhouse keepers.  No one who dealt in victuals.
Still,  "victualler" looks odd to me -- I think that Longworth didn't use
that term.  I can't say for sure hat he would have used instead -- "eating
house" was used in the newspapers of the era.

(This is a new email system, and cutting and pasting has left me with a
draft in two different type faces -- I'll be interested to see what comes
through.)

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ.