"moist"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Nov 5 16:25:14 UTC 2011

At 11/5/2011 12:34 AM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>the Lloggers have posted several times on this belief, and i have a
>huge collection of mail from women who object in the strongest
>possible terms to *any* use of the word.  i'm not defending this
>feeling, just reporting it.

Nor was I defending the humoral tradition of the ancients and the
early moderns (not to be confused with the humorous tradition of The
Family Guy), just reporting.  But perhaps the feminine distaste for
"moist" is part of the Jungian collective unconscious.

As for the reversed gender attributions in Old English, was there
much received wisdom on philosophy and physiology from that language?  :-)

Joel