Fun with phrases

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 15 17:35:09 UTC 2011

"You'll laugh! You'll cry! You'll stand up and cheer!"

A mock-stereotypical movie blurb.

>From NewspArch:

1911 _Chillicothe [Mo.] Constitution_ (Apr. 17) 2: "Across the Great
Divide." ... You'll laugh, you'll cry with them, because where there
is sunlight, like wise [sic] the shadows come, and a play is not a
play [without] thrilling incidents of daring and heroism.

1917 _Muscatine [Ia.] Journal_ (Sept. 4) 4: The Screen's Greatest
Patriotic Message  / LITTLE MARY PICKFORD / The Beloved Girl of the
U.S.A. in her Greatest Photoplay Screen Achievement / "The Little
American" / An Artcraft Production that will strike a responsive chord
in the breast of every relative of Uncle Sam. You'll laugh; you'll
cry; you'll cheer. Here is a photoplay that...gets it.

[They sure don't write 'em like that anymore.]

1919 _Eau Claire Leader_ (Feb. 12) 4: FRANK McINTYRE /  -IN- / "TOO
FAT TO FIGHT"/ ... A patriotic drama. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll
cheer, you'll stand up and root for the fat man who wouldn't stay
down!

1920 _Daily Free Press_ (Carbondale, Ill.) (July 1) 3: FRANK KEENAN /
The Great American Character Actor in / "Smouldering Embers" / You'll
laugh! you'll cry! you'll thrill! you'll sigh!

1922 _Sioux City Sunday Journal_  (Mar. 5) 31: If ever there was a
"smashing" success, a play with a "wallop," a "hit" - an entertainment
that slams Old Boy Blues right between the eyes and sends Kid Gloom
down for the count - here it is! You'll laugh! You'll cry! You'll
yell! You'll sigh!

1931 _Salt Lake Tribune_ (Sept. 11) 10: You'll laugh, you'll cry,
you'll stand up and cheer!/ Vina DelMar's "BAD GIRL."

Numerous other exx. of most of these phrases, and some others that are
similar ("You'' laugh! You'll cry! You'll love it!" is quite popoular)
right into the 21st C.

JL