inaccurate Billy Sunday quote

Sun Nov 20 05:36:36 UTC 2011

Below is a link for a match to a common modern variant of the Billy
Sunday quotation (i.e., it contains the subphrase "dies fighting")
that Google Books assigns a date of 1969. The quotation has a footnote
numbered 15 attached to it.

Cite info: 1969 [according to GB], Preachers present arms: the role of
the American churches and clergy in World Wars I and II, with some
observations on the war in Vietnam by Ray Hamilton Abrams

http://books.google.com/books?id=YMQhAQAAIAAJ&q=Godforsaken#search_anchor

To see the text and footnote one may follow the link above. The
snippet shows the footnote number 15, but it is often difficult to
find and extract the text of a footnote when GB restricts access.
Usually it is necessary to examine the book on paper. In this case it
may be worthwhile to follow this lead because WorldCat indicates that
the author Ray Hamilton Abrams wrote a 1933 thesis on this topic. The
1969 volume might be an updated version of his thesis. He may have the
proper expertise.

Preachers present arms: a study of the war-time attitudes and
activities of the churches and the clergy in the United States,
1914-1918
by Ray Hamilton Abrams
Thesis/dissertation : Thesis/dissertation : Manuscript : Microfilm
Archival Material
Year: 1933.

Below is another link to a match for the common modern variant of the
quotation. GB assigns a date of 1968 and this quotation also has a
footnote attached: number 9. It may be worthwhile to access this
volume and find out what the footnote says.

Cite info: 1968 [according to GB], War and conscience in America by
Edward Le Roy Long

http://books.google.com/books?id=ngRLAAAAIAAJ&q=trenches#search_anchor

Garson