two more late entries for WOTY (if they take off)

Thu Nov 24 00:10:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> Re "occupy":  That's certainly a major contender, I'd think.  Now it's
> even spawned a reversative twin, "unoccupy" (as I'm sure Ben has
> noticed), with or without hyphen:
> http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2364466.shtml

I'd missed that. Confusingly, the Albuquerque offshoot of OWS is
calling itself "(Un)occupy Albuquerque," apparently because "occupy"
is seen as offensive to Native Americans:

http://colorlines.com/archives/2011/10/unoccupy_albuquerque_in_respect_to_indigenous_new_mexicans.html
http://www.unoccupyabq.org/2011/11/15/why-un/

The article that Larry linked to is about a conservative
counterprotest... which I guess should be called "Un(un)occupy
Albuquerque"?

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer