We believe what? Transubstantiation?

John Fitzpatrick grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET
Wed Nov 30 10:54:38 UTC 2011

Tom Zurinskas wrote:

<<Thanks Bethany. My bad. I tried to find that word googling "new catholic
mass" and the like but could not find it. I knew it was something
substantial. so I take it that the act of transubstantiation makes the
elements consubstantial. If you copied you cheat sheet I'd like a copy. I'll
try to get a copy of mine and we can compare. I don't think it's a sin.>>

Transubstantiation and "consubstantial" refer to two different doctrines,
the doctrine of Real Presence (of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist) and the
doctrine of the Trinity (three Divine Persons in one Godhead).  The latter
is in the Creed; the former is not.  IMAO, the previous, formula, which was
used only in the English translation, "one in Being with the Father", is not
simpler, more straightforward English than "consubstantial with the Father".

You can download a PDF of the four page pew card (or "participation aid")
from http://snurl.com/pewcard_pdf.  You can buy packs of 50 for $8.

Sean Fitzpatrick