fun with phrases

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 4 22:52:51 UTC 2011

"You do what you need to do to survive."

1946 _Town Meeting_ XII (1946) [GB snippet: looks real]:  I think that
people do what they feel they need to do in order to survive. I am for the
most rigid and strenuous punishment of everybody who is guilty of a crime
under nazism.

Then nothing till

1983 Jean Swallow _Out from Under_ (S.F.: Spinsters Ink) 125 [GB: phrase not
directly visible, looks real]: We all do what we think we need to do to
survive.

Not a whole lot of exx. since then, but I've heard it a number of times in
the past 20-odd  years.  I'd call it a cliche' now, but not before the mid
'80s.

(My search was for "do what * need to * to survive.")

JL