fun with phrases

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 7 10:27:11 UTC 2011

Great work, G.

I recall hearing or reading a variation of the same joke in the late 1950s.
I can't recall any of the details, but the gist was the same.

"That was then, this is now."

In YBQ as the title of S. E. Hinton's 1971 teen novel.  However:

1876 Bertha de Jongh _We are Worldlings_ (London: Bentley) I 30: "He would
have been so useful; think how I used to make him fetch and carry — " " Yes
; *that was _then_ ; this is now* ;" said Jenny.

1911 _American Florist_ (June 21) 1327: Don't go back to stage coach days!
... That was then, this is now!

1920 _Printers' Ink Monthly_ (Feb.) 84: When you used to think of the
neighbors, it was only the stone's-throw-folks.... But that was _then_. This
is _now_. The Huns changed all that when they crossed the Belgian frontier.

Occasional use from then on. Most of the 1970's hits seem to be ads for
Hinton's novel.  A flood later.

I have a friend who says it frequently.

JL
.