fun with phrases

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 7 20:43:15 UTC 2011

"create one's own reality"

One infamous quotation of the W years came - allegedly - from Karl Rove in 2004:
"We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And
while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act
again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and
that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors…and you, all
of you, will be left to just study what we do."

Not in YBQ.

As usual, there are no 19th C. exx. of "create * own reality," though
Google claims 141,000,000 right now.  Only a 19th C. lunatic would
have used the phrase.

Now we get serious:

1907 Savila Alice Elkus _The Concept of Control_ [N.Y.: Science Press]
88:The problematic judgment is the judgment which states that further
evidence is necessary in order to determine the truth. The assumption
upon which the validity of this argument bases, is, of course, the
'will for truth' in him who judges, and not the will for action; thus
in cases where belief or judgment is said to create its own reality
and thus its own validity, the nature of the decision is immaterial
from the logical point of view, as any decision whatsoever verifies
itself.

1908 Percy F. Bicknell, in _The Unitarian Register_  (Feb. 6) 147: Why
need we assume that there is anything in the "force of circumstances"
to paralyze the will and fetter one's free agency? Let us rather, with
the Italian pragmatist Papini, exult in our power to create our own
reality as we go along, and refuse to believe that man is made for
truth rather than that truth is made for man, and perhaps even by man,
so far as such belief is not inconsistent with modesty, mother of the
virtues, and with due reverence for "the power, not ourselves, which
makes for righteousness."

1912 W. H. Hadow, in_Quarterly Review_ (Jan.) 103 : Is the main
function of art to interpret reality and "paint man man, whatever the
issue," or to create its own reality by presenting, through a chosen
medium, some vision of ideal beauty?

After that, steady occasional use in artistic, psychological, and
literary contexts until the '60s, when it begins to burgeon. It comes
into its own in the '70s and just goes wild thereafter, sometimes as
practical advice.

Someone might write a thesis on the Elkus-Papini connection, I assume.

JL