"open" n. = "opening moments of a TV program" (or film, etc.?)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Oct 11 00:15:05 UTC 2011

I think Hank Williams' "open" is not a "cold open", since it does not
"jump[] directly into a story", "involv[e] the audience in the
plot".  (In writing, it's called a "deferred introduction"?)  Unless
"Are you ready for some football?" can be considered part of the
plot.  But professional football is not fiction -- I hope! -- unlike
professional wrestling.

In any case, is not this sense of "open", n. (as well as "cold open")
absent from the OED?

Joel