WOTY

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Oct 15 05:32:53 UTC 2011

This is pretty definitive, Ben. The only thing I would add -- though perhaps not on public radio -- is that inasmuch as the OED notes that 'occupy' was used up to the 18th c. to mean "To have sexual intercourse or relations with," it seems fair to conclude that Dr. Johnson would have heard "Occupy Wall Street" as a euphemistic way of saying "Fuck 'em."

Geoff