fun with phrases

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 19 18:40:41 UTC 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 2:04 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> GB affords a "You break it, you buy it" allegedly from 1965. Looks
> persuasive, but the date may be wrong.
>
> It refers to a sign, as do real exx. from the early '70s.
>
> Certainly I was familiar with it by 1970.
>
> The past-tense version sounds strange to me, however.

I'm assuming the present tense version is a reduced conditional ([If] you break it [then] you buy/own it), while the past tense one is a reduced conjunction ("You broke it [and [so]] you bought it", although the conditional reading is also possible: "If you broke it, you bought it", as in some of the GB cites).  The relation between the two is fairly close, as it is with "No X no Y" constructions ("No justice, no peace" or "No tickee no washee" on the one hand and "No smoking, no spitting" on the other, and combined on the third hand as "No shirt, no shoes, no service").

LH