New bad-taste milestone

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 9 08:51:56 UTC 2011

But, in this case, it is completely backwards--the show is still airing, but
the particular bit is practically forgotten. How is the show supposed to aid
in retrieval of the memory of itself? I see "cachet" as the only option.
"Cache" is a denomination of a number of objects in World of Warcraft--all
with slightly different meanings, but all are either objects that hold other
objects or valuable objects in their own right (essentially "cache of
riches"). There several different uses of "cache" in reference to computers
and computer parts. And of course, there is the more traditional usage
(cache of weapons). The only one that even remotely fits is "cache of
riches", but that would only make sense if it was spelled out--and, even
then, it is not as clean as "cachet". Chalk it up to the youthful ignorance
of the reporters. The most likely target customer is between 30 and 50 and,
if the reporter was outside that range, [s]he would have little idea of
what's going on until reading about it in Wiki. John Curran--AP's Montpelier
correspondent since 2006--is near the top of that range.

Here's the video  BTW: http://goo.gl/gLtI ("Tell us about your balls, Pete."
)

Here's the ABC News video introducing the ice cream flavor--with its own
puns: http://goo.gl/iBPdh

Speculations concerning the Schweddy Balls flavor have been circulating
since June: http://goo.gl/W8FGL

BTW, OED has no entry for software cache, such as the browser cache (where
cookies, pages and/or images are stored for quick retrieval). Hardware
(memory) cache is dated back to 1968. Gaming sense is missing entirely.
There is also a verb for computing usage from Draft Addition 1997 (dating
from 1983), but not the respective meaning for derivative adj. cached, which
is not /extremely/ common.

VS-)