game ball

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 18 19:38:24 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 4:02 AM, victor steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Clearly, this is not /the/ game ball, since the game has not been played
> yet. Or is this the ball that's already been set aside to become /the/ game
> ball? If that's not enough, here's another one from the same period:

That may well have been the actual game ball that she had, in the ense
that it was going to be used for the kickoff or some such, having been
"blesed" by the ceremonial queen of the game.

And since teams often have a supply of balls for game use - this isn't
peculiar to baseball - the game ball given as an honor may be only one
of several such balls. Or it could be the particular ball used in
scoring the winning point. Etc.

--
-Wilson
-----