game ball

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 18 19:47:33 UTC 2011

All true, but check the Jack Matheson brawl story (1947). The home team is
required to supply a specific number of game-ready balls in the NFL (it's
some ridiculously high number, but I don't recall what it is exactly--45?
80?). So the "game ball" today is purely ceremonial, except in the basic
usage of "the ball that's in play". This was not the case pre-1950s--the
award game ball was /the/ ball.

VS-)