fiber etc.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 21 14:05:54 UTC 2011

--and presumably "fiber"/"fibre" (cf. "moral fiber") has won out over its rivals because it sounds less unappealing than either "bulk" or "roughage".  (The culmination of the craze for fiber/roughage was a "commercial" appearing periodically on SNL for a cereal made of actual pebbles; can't recall the name, but it was a very convincing spoof, as spooves go.)

Speaking of plant (or mineral) material used as animal fodder, I encountered what I thought was a relatively new term this morning but what turns out to have a much longer history than I would have guessed:  "sugar huddle".  A bit of web-diving (including a visit to Grant Barrett's Double-Tongued Dictionary) indicates that this can refer to any of several ways of calling an offensive play in (professional?) football that involve more time than a true no-huddle but are much quicker than using a conventional huddle.  One version involves just the quarterback and offensive line working out the protection scheme, with other players just going up to the line of scrimmage, but this morning Marcellus Wiley on "Mike and Mike" used the term to describe a scenario in which the offensive personnel doesn't huddle up at all but lots of stuff gets called at the line of scrimmage.  In the 2006 cite at Grant's entry, it refers to a situation in which "offensive linemen gather together and a!
 re given their play assignments quietly rather than having them yelled out".  I'm sure other variants are possible, as long as it's more formal or takes more time than no-huddle but less so than a huddle simpliciter.  (There was also mention made at one blog site of a distinct "honey huddle", but that seems much less standard.  I guess the door is also open for splenda huddles, i.e. faux sugar huddles, but no google hits for that yet.)

LH