rents - parents

Thu Sep 29 02:16:51 UTC 2011

Ronald Butters qrote:
> I would have to check to make sure, but I think this is listed ioin
> Richard Seymour's 1966 study of Duke University student slang.

Apparently psychology researchers were using the slang term "rents"
for parents circa 1968. Maybe the cite would indicate if the original
questionnaire was constructed in 1966 or earlier. By default clipping
is the assumed generation mechanism.

Year: 1968 (unverified; 1968 probe shows a header with 1968)
Title: Educational and psychological measurement, Volume 28, Issues 3-4
Authors: American College Personnel Association, Science Research Associates
Publisher: Educational and Psychological Measurement, 1968

http://books.google.com/books?id=rIMKAAAAIAAJ&q=rents#search_anchor

<Begin extracted excerpt>
Item was changed from: "Have you ever been cheeky to your rents?" to
read: "Have you ever been insolent to your parents?" Procedure. The E
gave the following instructions prior to ministering the inventory to
the two Experimental groups
<End excerpt>

The reference "American Slang" dates the term to "1960s+". Details for
the citation are not given.

Title: American Slang
Editors: Barbara Ann Kipfer, Robert L. Chapman
Edition: 4, abridged
Publisher: HarperCollins, 2008

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ow7JpC1NcesC&q=salvation#v=snippet&

<Begin excerpt>
rents or 'rents n Parents; PARENTAL UNIT(S) : I'm sure your only
salvation is to hit up your rents (1960s+ Teenagers)
<End excerpt>