more euphemisms

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 29 02:45:39 UTC 2011

This one is a bit different--insults that don't include sexual,
scatological or racial terms. That leaves at least one possibility.

http://goo.gl/n0n8C
> The NHL chose not to discipline Philadelphia Flyers forward Wayne
> Simmonds for his alleged homophobic slur because it could not
> "substantiate" that Simmonds hurled the epithet toward New York
> Rangers winger Sean Avery.
> "We have looked into the allegations relating to the possible use of a
> homophobic slur by a Flyers player in the Rangers/Flyers preseason
> game last night in Philadelphia.
> Video replay appeared to catch Simmonds making an anti-gay slur
> against Avery during a preseason game in Philadelphia on Monday night.
> Avery confirmed that Simmonds made the remark.
> "Hate speech and anti-gay slurs have no place on the ice rink," GLAAD
> acting president Mike Thompson said in a statement. "The word that
> Simmonds used is the same word that is hurled at LGBT youth on the
> playground and in our schools, creating a climate of intolerance and
> hostility.
> "He should not only apologize for this anti-gay outburst, but the
> Philadelphia Flyers and the NHL have a responsibility to take action
> and educate their fans about why this word is unacceptable."

To add insult to another insult, a "fan" threw a banana at Simmonds, who
is black. It's pretty obvious what the "slur" was IMO. Actually, it's a
word hurled at almost anyone, irrespectively of orientation, but the
implication, of course, remains the same.

     VS-)