hopefully

Thu Apr 5 00:04:32 UTC 2012

The AHD also has a useful guidance section on this word. It notes that large majority of their usage panel dislikes this use despite parallels with adverbs like "frankly" and "mercifully."

It goes on to note that you cannot replace "hopefully" with "I hope" or "it is hoped" because "hopefully" makes a "hopeful prediction" whereas "I hope" is a "bald statement about what is desired."

The note ends by saying that the usage panel is reacting negatively not because of the usage itself but because "hopefully" has become a shibboleth.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA