protest = 'demonstrate in public to draw attention to'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 5 13:33:48 UTC 2012

On Apr 5, 2012, at 9:22 AM, Charles C Doyle wrote:

> Hasn't the elliptical "Vietnam" now become pretty widely lexified in the sense of 'Vietnam war' or 'time of the Vietnam war' (as in "post-Vietnam," "Vietnam veteran," "Vietnam syndrome," etc.)?  The OED seems to lack an entry for "Vietnam" in any sense or usage.
>
> Charlie

It may well have by now (and indeed by the late 70s for all I can remember), but it hadn't at the time "anti-Vietnam (demonstrations, rallies, posters,…)" was first in use.  The ellipsis of "war" in that context is what was striking (and annoying, depending on which side you were on).

LH