protest = 'demonstrate in public to draw attention to'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 5 14:08:36 UTC 2012

>   You could also say that he's an advocate for the victims (patients and
family members).

I could, but he didn't.

Of course what you say is correct, but the point is that, by one
psychological twist or another, these words now function in ways that are
essentially the opposite of what they have traditionally meant.

JL