wishful thinking

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 20 21:25:13 UTC 2012

For those interested, the HathiTrust metadata isn't much better.

It looks as though Dr. Stewart Paton  (1865-1942) did much to popularize
the phrase.  His textbook, _Psychiatry_ (Phila.: Lippincott, 1905), is said
to have been the first on the subject written by an American.

The phrase "wishful thinking" seems not to be in it.

Interestingly, the eminent Dr. Bailey's article (in the July, not the June,
1915_Scribner's_) is actually called "The Wishful Self."

More interestingly still, the phrase "wishful thinking"  isn't in it,
either, though that is indeed its subject.  Bailey   instead calls the
phenomenon "wish thinking" and "auto-thinking."  Bailey (1865-1922) later
became chief of the U.S. Army Division of Neurology and Psychiatry during
World War I

JL