on the gang

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 22 08:48:20 UTC 2012

In the good old days, referring to sentencing to hard labor - repair
of roads, railroad rights of way, bridges, canals. mining, harvesting,
and general maintenance of infrastructure - as being put, etc. "on the
gang" was as commonplace as the sentencing to hard labor itself. The
"chain-gang" is the most (in)famous such, since there were many kinds
of work that could be done by men chained together. All you needed was
a sufficient length of chain.

IAC, IME, FWIW, referring to being part of a work-gang simply as "on
the gang" is no odder than referring to having an erection as being
"on the bone."

--
-Wilson
-----