on the gang

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 22 09:26:00 UTC 2012

You must have mixed two separate points.

First, I don't find anything odd about "on the gang" references, in
general. Nor do I find it odd that sentencing to hard labor was
sentencing to the "gang". My part in this is quite clear. What I do find
odd, however, is that no contemporary dictionary--historical or
otherwise--makes note of that effect. Of course, virtually none of them
give a full etymology of "bulldozer" either.

My second point was that there were a few (more than one) references to
the "gang system"--and, in particular, to whites likely not willing to
participate "on the gang system", which was the last citation I gave.
This is quite a separate point. I am not sure what the "gang system"
entailed, but it clearly was unrelated to forced labor for convicts.

     VS-)