1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Tue Apr 24 02:03:13 UTC 2012

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=plAsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=E8sEAAAAIBAJ&dq=calendar-girl&pg=4081%2C91102

> > Betty says to Archie  "Being an usher after school must be prime."
> >
> > Archie replies  "Oh, it gets kinda butthole at times."
> >
> > How would this get by a censor if it had a modern meaning?  What did it
> > mean in the context of the times? Not in the OED as such that I could find.
>
> I suspect vandalism.  Has it been checked against the same comic in
> a different newspaper?

It checks out -- Newspaperarchive has the same strip in the Elyria (OH)
Chronicle-Telegram, Apr. 2, 1947.

Further discussion on BoingBoing:

http://boingboing.net/2012/04/22/do-you-kiss-betty-andor-veron.html

--bgz