1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Apr 24 02:06:45 UTC 2012

On Apr 23, 2012, at 9:51 PM, Baker, John wrote:

>        I suspect vandalism.  Has it been checked against the same comic in a different newspaper?
>

> John Baker

Not in HDAS either, which in fact doesn't have an adjectival meaning for "butthole" even from sources that wouldn't have had to deal with censors (noun, yes, from 1951, but not adjective).  Electronic tampering seems more likely to me too, although I have no idea whether or how it might be done.  Interesting little blurb about Franco vs. the monarchists there on the left.

LH