1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Tue Apr 24 04:27:42 UTC 2012

A commenter at Boing Boing named Robert Baruch noted that there are
citations in Google Books that associate a "butt hole" with a cul de
sac. (See below.) Archie's phrase "Oh, it gets kinda butthole at
times" may be referring to some metaphorical sense of a cul de sac.
Perhaps Archie feels confined, trapped, bored, and/or optionless. A
cul de sac is a dead end, so one might say it is a dead-end job, but
that meaning doesn't quite match the meaning suggested by the comic
strip.

Cite: 1912 November 16, The Living Age, Different Dog Days by Horace
Hutchinson, Start Page 444, Quote Page 445, The Living Age Company,
Boston. (Google Books full view)
http://books.google.com/books?id=oDdrJisSXdEC&q=butt-hole#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
But our idea of a badger hunt was to send a dog up to the badger
underground, to keep the brock occupied in a "butt-hole" - that is to
say, a cul de sac in the ramifications of the great bury - while we
digged across that particular tunnel and so cut him off from access to
his many galleries and mansions; after which we could dig straight up
to him at leisure.
[End excerpt]

Cite: 1898 May 28, Country Life Illustrated, Badger-Hunting, Start
Page 669, Quote Page 670, Hudson & Kearns, London. (Google Books full
view)
http://books.google.com/books?id=mlBOAAAAYAAJ&q=%22butt+hole%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Then the conclusion is "They've a got the old badger up into a butt
hole." This means that he can go no further, except over the body of
the assailing dog; and now it is time for the picks and spades, and
the diggers' work.
[End excerpt]