1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 24 12:22:26 UTC 2012

This mystifies me, in part because I've never encountered "butthole"
used predicatively in any sense. Has anybody?

HDAS has literal, vulgar "butthole" from 1951, but since "butt" is
documented as the human buttocks from the 18th C. (OED does a poor job
here), there can be little doubt it is far older.

So editors in 1947 would have understood the word anatomically exactly as
we do.

A large part of the mystery, then, is how the word slipped passed the
editors.  How many papers ran this particular strip?  A second question is
how "butthole" got into the strip in the first place.  I wouldn't rule out
sabotage quite yet.

Surely Bob Montana (a WWII veteran) must have been aware of the
implications of "butthole," even if he'd never heard the word used.

Even if he'd actually heard somebody use "butthole" to mean "unpleasant;
boring," I can't imagine why he'd want to risk stirring up trouble for
himself.  (Its counterpart, "prime," sounds to me like typical teen lingo
of 1947.)

Finally, somebody in the Boing Boing discussion calls Archie a "cockfart."
That seems unfairly judgmental.

JL